(adapted fromFine Cooking Oct/Nov 2009 issue, pg 62)
14oz pure pumpkin pie puree
1.25 cups unsweetened coconut milk (full Fat)
3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 large free range eggs
2 tbsp Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum
1. Rack in center of oven at 425F
2. In a large large bowl whisk the pumpkin, coconut milk,sugar,ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and then whisk in the rum until smooth
4. Whisk the egg mixture into the pumpkin mixture until smooth.
5. Pour into a 9″ pie crust
6. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then reduce oven to 350F and bake until filling doesn’t wobble when jiggled (approx 45 minutes)
7. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
Pie Crust (from Bon Appétit November 2009 pg 144)
2.25 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/4″ cubes
1/4 cup (or more) ice water
1. Combine first three ingredients in stand mixer with paddle attachment.
2. Blend on low speed.
3. Add butter; mix on low speed until mixture is crumbly.
4. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup ice water and mix until dough clings to paddle, add more water by teaspoons if dough is dry.
gather dough together and roll out on a lightly floured surface to two 12″ round crusts.